Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I have an unusual anger problem. 2-3 time a year I have an

I have an unusual anger problem. 2-3 time a year I have an uncontrollable anger outburst that is very irrational and extremely out of proportion to whatever issue is at hand. This is in complete contrast to my normal personality which is why it scares my family. It really makes no sense. It is like some other person has taken over and I can't stop it.
It is always verbal, not physical but I have hurt and offended some of my friends and loved ones and lost some as a result. Sometimes It occurs when I am tired and stressed but other times it comes out of nowhere with no warning.
I've looked into anger management classes but they just tell you to look for the triggers. In my case there rarely are any triggers. I need to find a way to end these so that I don't hurt the people I care about again.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

Behavior is purposeful (even if we do not know why or how ) we act for a reason. There may be triggers that you are not aware on consciously but subconsciously. When you are tired and stressed out, you want peace and quiet. When someone is intruding that/your personal space, that is a trigger. When an expectation that you have of another is not met in your mind, that is a trigger. If someone reminds of even subconsciously of someone else that had made you angry, that is a trigger. You may want to look back and recall how your mother and father had expressed anger (of what you recall) Our behavior is also learned as well as genetically influenced.

If you are not doing the anger management classes, there are other options such as hypnotherapy, counseling, self help bibliotherapy and workbooks. Anger therefore, serves a purpose (even if that purpose is unhealthy or unsafe or even ridiculous.)

Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames by Thich Nhat Hanh (Paperback - Sept. 3, 2002)

Hypnosis for Overcoming Anger (Hypnotic Empowerment Series) by Janet I. C. Decker and Hypnotherapys Services (Audio CD - May 17, 2007)

The Anger Workbook: A 13-Step Interactive Plan to Help You... (Minirth-Meier Clinic Series) by Les Carter and Dr. Frank Minirth (Paperback - Nov. 25, 1992)