Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

Help!!! My brother is out of control! He has previously been

Help!!! My brother is out of control! He has previously been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder that was recently changed to Narcissitic personality disorder. He is chronologically an adult but severely emotionally retarded. His is quite intellectual though. He throws temper tantrums, destroys property (there are many holes in the walls, he recently beat the bathroom door to splinters). He is manipulative. He is tenacious until he gets his way. He cannot hold a job. He stays up late and sleeps into the afternoon. His room at home is trashed out. He doesn't help with any housework. He is verbally and emotionally abusive to my mother and father. He is on disability now and has a case manager. But no one will help us get the help he needs. My dad is about to kick him out of the house but is afraid of the repercussions. I've told my parents to call the police when he gets violent but they don't. I'm afraid that we will get lost in the system and not get help and the result will be a fatality.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
I'm afraid that your parents will have to learn that with this person, they are at serious risk of physical violence. There is a division of opinion in the mental health community about how prone narcissists are to physical violence, some say not. However, there is always the risk of serious injury during one of your brother's irrational outbursts of rage, and it is safer to work on the basis that this is more likely than not.

He is, however, most unlikely to harm himself.

Talk to your Doc about getting assistance.