Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

my husband and I have been married 23 years and have what I

my husband and I have been married 23 years and have what I believe to be better than most marriage. he had also been in a job most of those years that he began to hate. now he says he needs to separate from me for a while. he feels lost, he says he loves me but is not in love with me. is this a midlife crisi?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

From what you describe it does sound like the classical symptoms of a mid life crisis which manifests as depression. I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety and depression.

See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when he decided to leave a couple of days ago I tried to get him to tell me more about how he was feeling or what I may have done. he said that he doesn't know what triggered it or when exactly, but for the past year and a half he has been unhappy,wants to be in love again and as far as our marriage, all aspects were great, except during the marriage he felt I talked to him disrespectfully XXXXX XXXXX after the loss of our son 4 yrs ago and he was right, so i corrected it. is this still classic symptoms of midlife crisis?

I still think this is a factor of midlife crisis. I would suggest that you don't push and leave it open ended. Allow him some space. That does not guarantee a reconciliation, but if you push it, you are sure (in my opinion) to drive him further away. Good luck and try to be patient.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more thing, is it ok to send him info i have accumulated on middle age crisis and your response.

I don't think that would work in your interest at this time, maybe in a few weeks, but right now allow him the space that he is demonstrating that he wants.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs