Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

MY daughter-in-law has acute narcissistic personality disorder;

MY daughter-in-law has acute narcissistic personality disorder; My Son is a Fireman/ paramedic; He is a good person; My husband and I have been married for 47 years and our Grand children(8) are truely the love of our life. The problem is the lack of care she gives her children. She will hire just anyone to take care of them while she does her own thing; her Mother was married 5 times and her Dad had nothing to do with her until after she was 18; It is heart breaking for me to see her lack of parenting skills; 2 Months ago she hired a 16 and 17 year old to babysit her 3 children; the little guy was left in the park accross the street from their home; a neighbor heard him screaming and resued him I would like some advice as to dealing with such a non empathic and un loving personality;
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
How is your relationship with her now? Have you talked to her about your concerns?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2 weeks before Easter she said they were coming to see us and she was bringing 2 teenagers to help out with the children (2/4/6) I said fine as long as they were NOT the ones that left the baby in the park; Well the girls themselves told me they were the ones; I told the girls NEVER to do that again and did they know what could have happened to him; I was sick; later that evening I asked her why she lied to me; she stated she knew I would not want them in my home or that I would not show them my normal hospitality. I love to cook and sew; I make dresses for the 4, and 6 year old; I have been a Real Estate Broker for 35 years. I just love those girl but her excuse for lying to me made me even more that she did it to take advantage of my personality. I chose not to speak to her for now. But I really worry about the children; I just wish there someway to help them or her

I emailed her Mother a few months ago and sugested her daughter needed her help and suport; but she emailed me back and said she knew her daughter was difficult and like most Mother of adult children she is only a sounding board; So there you go.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Well this situation needs to have your son involved. It really is not your business about the children but I have to question why her husband is allowing this behavior. If you need to ignore her then so be it. You can still have a relationship with your grandchildren. But your son needs to step up to his wife and get things figured out. Unfortunately, you have no say in their matters. And sticking your nose in it will likely cause conflict and divide between your son and his wife. So you spend the time with the grandchildren and be cordial to your daughter in law. If you step in the middle then she may limit your visit with the children.