Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I have been expereinceing depersonalization and a floaty

I have been expereinceing depersonalization and a "floaty" feeling for week.s Have been seeing spots, eye sight has gotten far worse despite wearing glasses and can't stop thinking about dying!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using Sorry to hear you are going through this. I would recommend seeing your primary care dr to make sure this isn't a medical issue, ex: sinus problems related to allergies. If the Dr. feels you are fine I would recommend going to see a psychiatrist for an evaluation.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately I have already been to see my GP about this and upon probing about my family History I did clarify that my Father, Uncle and their mother (My Grandmother) all suffered / suffer from Depression. He then dismissed it as an onset of depression despite my insistence that I was optimistic and happy, just not with my constant symptoms and worrying!

I am willing to accept that this could all be down to anxiety but the physical symptoms of the spots, general fatigue (both mental and physical), heart palpitations and fear of dying (and questioning our existence, which sounds corny I know but it's driving me mad) are really beginning to bring me down and are making me worried it may be something more.

In your experience, have you seen these sorts of symptoms manifest from a simple spate of anxiety before and then disappear? Or do you think it could be something physical?

How could my sinuses cause this?

Hi there,
thanks for these questions as well. I think you are probably experiencing these symptoms due to depression and or anxiety. Depersonalization can be a very common symptom with an anxiety disorder or even a depressive disorder which can produce the side effect of anxiety/panic attacks etc. I have seen these issues happen before with people from a sudden episode of anxiety.

I suggested the sinuses and GP just to rule out any physical issues before seeing a psychiatrist. Sinuses if they are infected or inflamed can cause a person to feel floaty and disconnected from their body.

I would see a psychiatrist particularly with such a strong history of depression in the family.
I hope this answer helps as well.

All the best,