Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have been dating a man that I believe may have some problems.

I have been dating a man that I believe may have some problems. Last night over dinner his behavior abruptly changed when he saw an individual come into the restaurant. He stated the guy was a drug dealer and that he wanted to "f**k" the guys girlfriend. This ensued an argument. That's not all....when we pulled up to his house, he was acting paranoid about a guy that walked past the car. He was very aggitated and wanted to go beat him up. I have strong feelings for this guy but I'm not sure how to handle the strange behavior. He apologized later. Also, I should mention he's currently in trouble with the law for beating up someone. I feel sorry for him and I know he loves me and needs my support, but am I in over my head?

This demonstration of bizarre assaultive behavior, not just thinking, but as you report is an actual attack. You may be emotionally attached, but you have been given numerous warnings that this is a dangerous individual. The likelihood is that if you continue this relation a time will come when his aggression is directed toward you. I would strongly urge that you carefully break it off before you are physically assaulted. Again if you break it off as I suggest be careful how you do it so you do not set him off against you.

Best wishes and good luck

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.