Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Is Zoloft known to lose its effectiveness after a number of

Is Zoloft known to lose its effectiveness after a number of years? If so, has Lamictal been a helpful addition, or will the main anti-depressant need to be changed?
Also- is post-partum depression known to begin after a woman stops breast-feeding rather than after giving birth sue to the hormonal changes that occur upon ceasing nursing? Wondering if this could be part of the problem...

All SSRI' like Zoloft, Prozac, and Paxcil, etc are known to loose their effectiveness after a period of time. Lamictal is not an antidepressant, but rather a mood stabilizer. Doctors often use additional drugs as add ons such Abilify, or the atypical antidepressant Webutrin. when the current med is losing or lost effectiveness. The other choice is to use another SSRI as mentioned before like Celexa or Paxcil, etc,or an s SNRI like

Effexor or Prestiq. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also wondering if post-partum depression is known to appear after a mother has stopped nursing, rather than after the actual birth of the child/ I just stopped breastfeeding my 16 month old, and it seems to be co-inciding with resurfacing of the depression symptoms. Thanks!

Hello,As you say it seems to coinciding and that is probably it. By definition to be post partum it occurs within 4 weeks of the birth. Hope the information has helped.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC