Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Can you recommend a book I am in a relationship with a alcoholic,

Can you recommend a book: I am in a relationship with a alcoholic, who is in prison for a year. 7 years dating, want help in identifying alcoholic behaviors and how to break patterns

You are doing the right thing by looking at your issues. Please look into the Al Anon program as well and I am including a website:

As for your significant other, the best books related to alcoholics is the BIg Book of AA, and the 12 step book, both of which can be purchased at any AA meeting. I am including a website for this also:

His recovery should be his decision. You will be able to tell if he is serious about recovery if he takes responsibility by going to meetings, working the twelve steps, and doesn't drink, whether you stay with him or not. His recovery must be a decision he makes or it will not work.

Your recovery from codependence will also need to be addressed if you both plan to stay together. Please read some info from the websites I have listed, find a local meeting and allow others to help you recover as well. All these meetings are free and offer a wealth of information for you and he.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Thanks, Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a professional in a small community. Are there any books that I can read regarding the co-dependency that you would recommend in relationship to the issues outlined above? Thanks Gina

Hi, I understand your predicament, but the 12 step programs are supposed to be anonymous.....Wink

You can attend and read much of this information on the internet, if needed.

Codependent No More and The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie are both very good. You might also want to try the publisher Hazelden at

They are well known for addiction and codependency books.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina