Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Im a 56-yr-old female on Lexapro 20 mg (once a day), but still

I'm a 56-yr-old female on Lexapro 20 mg (once a day), but still have a lot of feelings of sadness, & sometimes crying. I usually can control it, & mostly it's at home where no one, but MAYBE my husband notices (if he does,he doesn't say or do much). I also have a lot of physical pain, which doesn't help me emotionally either. (My 2 children are grown & live out of state). Do you think I need to see a Counselor, Psychologist, try a different Rx, or what?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. Lexapro is a very good anti depressant, but may not necessarily work for you. Some people need a combination of medications to assist with depression.

'The perfect treatment would include a visit to a psychiatrist for appropriate medications in addition to counseling to help deal with the underlying issues that may be contributing to the depression.

The over the counter information about anxiety and depression are good for informational reasons, but don't really help you process through the feelings and work to get to the other side, on your own. A counselor will prompt you and encourage you to process and talk about other feelings that may need to be surfaced.

I hope you will take a step in this direction. You deserve to have a happier life.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina