Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have a temper that flares up and I say mean, awful, hurtful

I have a temper that flares up and I say mean, awful, hurtful things to my wife and others and then I regret it tremendously....What do I do ? Why do I do this ? It is hurting my wife and kids...Help !
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

You may have what is called an intermittent explosive disorder. Medication may help you to control it. But I would suggest that you either see a therapist or go toa class to learn anger management. You have to have a plan ready that you can implement before you loose it. The fact that you feel bad about hurting your wife and children is a positive that you can learn to harness to help you maintain control and avoid exploding. Best wishes good luck and try to slow things down so you can think about how to behave and the consequences if you loose control.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.