Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I am currently feeling stressed, sad and irritable all at the

I am currently feeling stressed, sad and irritable all at the same time. I have noticed when I feel this way that I try to push people away, especially my husband. I am trying to analyze every little problem in our marriage from money to intimacy. I just don't know how to fix this. I have been trying to use coping skills that have helped but I noticed that the feelings are coming more often since about a year ago. I am getting ready to start my Master's degree but have been so overwhelmed with the inner turmoil that I cannot get started. What recommendations do you have for me? Thank you in advance for your input.

Clearly you sound anxious and depressed. The best treatment for both these symptoms is a type of therapy. I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

If you need follow up answers please feel free to ask - best wishes and good luck,

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have taken zoloft in the passed. Do you recommend medication while doing CBT?

Hello.

The best form of treatment is a combination of medication and psychotherapy. The medication allows the psychotherapy to work on you while the psychotherapy allows you to make changes. Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>