Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Hi, I have problems concentrating lately and cannot get much work done. I am al

I have problems concentrating lately and cannot get much work done. I am also feeling a lot of pressure because I have lots of deadlines coming and the anxiety is more paralyzing than motivating. Do I need to go see a psychiatrist or should I see a general doctor ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest that you see a psychiatrist to determine if the difficulty in concentrating is just anxiety or adult attention deficit disorder, or something else like depression. . The treatment for each is different. If it is purely anxiety or depression, you might want to consider psychotherapy. I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and depression decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.