Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

My abusive widowed father just committed suicide last month.

My abusive widowed father just committed suicide last month. He was alomost 70 and I am 43. I have such mixed emotions about it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm sorry to hear you are having mixed feelings about his suicide. This is a very normal reaction to be having. On the one hand he was your father on the other hand he was abusive. There are normal stages to grief that everyone goes through. You can read more about that here. When there is an abuse component a person will still go through similar stages and often feel guilty if there is any relief experienced when the person passes. This is very normal too. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the grief stages and remind yourself it is really very normal if part of the mixed emotions are relief that he has passed. If the feelings get to a point where they are overwhelming or too difficult to deal with, I would suggest seeking the services of a grief counselor for a while. They are usually very well versed in helping people when the loss is a complicated one.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know i fyou have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,