Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

Hi. What is the most effective way to change a core belief

Hi. What is the most effective way to change a core belief? I feel inferior to everyone, I mean even the clerks at 7-11. I have a constant emotion or feeling of being inferior as if that is who and what I am. It sucks. When I talk to someone I don't know, I can hear myself putting myself down in my head. I've been practicing challenging cognitive distortions, affirmations, blah blah. This work of changing a f'd up core belief is extremely tedious and takes so long that I feel hopeless. I am resistant to change and feel like this is taking way to long. I don't have time for this.
Thanks, you're awesome!
Hi there,
Thank you for using Justanswer.com. Sorry to hear you are experiencing this frustration. Changing core beliefs can take a very long time to change because they are with most people for as long as they can remember. The core belief you mentioned most likely comes from some sort of abandonment/rejection struggle when you were very young.

The therapy strategies you mentioned are the traditional ways to change this with a lot of empirical evidence to support these methods. You mentioned that you "are resistant to change" and this is probably what is keeping you from making progress with changing the core belief. I'm wondering, do you know why you are resistant to change? Is there some sort of unconscious reason that holding on to this core belief helps you continue to "survive"? I think if you can answer that question you might be more likely to see better results with your progress.

Another option would be to consider an alternative therapy such as hypnosis. The methods you mentioned are all cognitive and conscious techniques. The brain is about 15% conscious and 85% subconscious. Hypnosis goes right to the subconscious to change core beliefs that are difficult to change when thinking and talking therapies are not working.

I hope these suggestions help. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

I wish you the best with this,
Kym
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
For Kym Tolson

I am very interested in trying hypnosis. What kind of hypnosis and can u send me a list of hypnotists in Dallas area? Or best place to find a really good one? Thanks and I liked your answer to my previous question!

I'm glad you found the previous answer to be helpful. I would suggest looking for a hypnotherapist that has a good understanding of the issues you mentioned. I googled for a list of Dallas Hypnotherapists. There were a few that stood out as possible candidates to help you with your problem.

http://www.familyfirsthypnosis.com/services

http://www.hypnosisrc.com/

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=64626&sid=1271609795.1534_10414&city=Dallas&state=Texas&trtmnt_orient=14

I'm thinking the third option might be the best place to start. She is a therapist and a hypnotherapist. I would call first and "interview" them to find out if they understand your specific problem and ask how they would approach the problem.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,

Kym