Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

My daughter has been diagnosed with bi polar disorder. She

My daughter has been diagnosed with bi polar disorder. She is currently being prescribed Lamictal (2 in the morning), Neurotonin (8 per day), Celexa (1 at night), Safron(at night), Pristique, Lunesta and xanex as needed.

Doesn't this sound like an over abundance of medications?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

Can you describe the severity of her symptoms? Is this medication regimen working?

Lamictal and neurontin are anti seizure meds used as mood stabilizers. Celexa is an SSRI, and Prestiq is a SNRI, both used for depression and anxiety. Lunestra is for sleep and Xanax is for anxiety. Candidly I have not heard of Safron. These are a large cocktail as I am a believer that the less is best. However if the they are resolving problems and reducing symptoms then it might be an appropriate cocktail. So I return to my original question is it working. In addition, you have every right to ask the doctor for a risk benefit analysis-how are these meds helping versus what are the negatives. Most physicians just say take this, but I believe the risk benefit analysis is needed to make an intelligent decision

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it is not working. She told her doctor that the medications were making her drowsy so the Prestiq was added. She was not told not to drive and just earlier today was charged with DUI

How long has she been on these meds as they some times take several weeks to work? In addition, If you cannot get a risk benefit analysis and some explanation, you might consider going to another facility. To take a great of meds and just have side effects is an unacceptable result!

Sincerely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She has been on all but Prestiq for 2 months. The Prestiq was added this week. I definitely would consider another facility but am afraid that I really don't know what that would be. I live in Birmingham, AL are you aware of a facility that specializes in bipolar and has a good in patient facility in Birmingham or maybe Nashville, TN?

I can clearly say that the doctor was remiss in not advising about the the drowsiness of the Prestiq which is not a typical add on like abilify or even welbutrtin. The DUI was a shame, but G-d forbid she could have been seriously injured that is why the risk benefit analysis is so important with a discussion of side effects. The best service and doctors can be found at University Teaching Hospitals and that is where I suggest you go. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs