Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

My 9 year old boy, who is a happy, healthy 4th grader, told

Customer Question

My 9 year old boy, who is a happy, healthy 4th grader, told me last night during homework that since December, he sometimes hears voices that are not his own. sometimes he hears his name being called and other times he hears people, like a crowd, in an argument. He seems to experience these hallucinations when he's alone and quiet (church, barn).
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

From the limited information, it is difficult to determine what is going on. It could range from a vivid fantasy life to some thing more serious. My first piece of advice is easier to say than to do and that is not to panic or over react and make predictions. Has there been any changes in your home environment? Has his school work suffered or his social life changed.? Does he engage in a lot of fantasy play?. I am asking these questions to try to obtain a better picture? Upon your response, I can share my recommendations, but I can tell you from the limited amount of information there is no way with any comfort or validity that I could provide a diagnostic impression.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your response. Here are the answers:

There have been no changes in either the home environment, school, church, or in any other aspect of his life except he's having trouble with 4th grade. This, however, was not unexpected as the 4th grade teacher in this school is extremely difficult and everyone has trouble. He has always experienced difficulty in his academic work but we never questions whether he was going to pass the grade before this year. Parker is lazy and disorganized but has always been so - this is not new. He does not engage in much fantasy life, though, since his grades have been poor, he has been unable to use any electronic devices and so must rely on his imagination and entertain himself much more than he has ever had to in his past. This has, in fact, been so since a little after December. He is a bright kid who appears to be quite perceptive of others feelings and situations. He is much more compassionate and caring then my 11 year old and Parker tends to "think out of the box". He's thin, athletic but only active if he can't use an electronic device (TV, DS, Wii, iTouch, etc). Oh, he has been reading significantly more since his ban on EDs (electronic devices). He smiles and is happy almost all of the time. He's easy going, goes with the flow, accepts disappointment. He is very connected to the people in his life. He is very social and gets along with most. He has lots of friends and he loves to be with them. That's all I can think of.

Thank you so much.

Chris

There are no clearly apparent causes for his behavior and as I said the etiology is unknown. Were I in your position I would have him evaluated by a child psychologist. I would recommend him undergoing a battery of psychometic testing to determine if there is is some underlying pathology. Again I caution you not to over react. I just think you would feel better if you had a handle on the situation which a child psychologist may be able to provide. Then you will know what you are dealing with and what direction to go in. If there is anything further I can answer please feel free to ask. Best wishes and ood luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 4/16/2010 at 5:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You recommend a child psychologist as opposed to a psychiatrist?

Chris

Yes as the former can conduct psychological testing. If medication is involved then a psychiatrist will be required.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much.

Chris

have an excellent day.

My pleaseure. I hope I have been of service and I would like to hear the findings if you do not mind. If I have been helpful positive feedback is most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sure, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again

Chris

Best wishes and stay calm for both of you.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I will remain calm. I'm wondering if I can afford to do this without tapping into my insurance because I don't want something like ... God forbid ... schizophrenia on his permanent record. It'll affect his opportunities his whole life. So ... doing a lot of thinking today.

Thanks tons

Chris

Mental Health records are highly secure and require a special consent. that is why your insurance has a special behavioral health department. These records cannot be easily divulged and worst case scenario, they wouldn t effect his future. I have never seen what you fear in the past 20 years, except when a man named Eagleton was running for Vice president of the USA and some one illegally released it. Seriously, I really would not worry about it and would not let it deter you from using your insurance!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm under the impression that any insurance company (auto, home, health) can access the insurance board and get any information that is on it. I have a friend that was diagnosed, erroniously, with sleep apnea and before he could get it fixed and changed he lost his pilot's license.

Sleep apnea is a physical condition, not a mental illness. There are 3 issues that cannot be released (by federal law) without special release: HIV/AIDS; Drug/Alcohol Treatment; and Mental Illness. I hope that reassures you. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh, yes it does. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your attention on this. I'm impressed. I'll be much less anxious if, in fact, I do need to use my insurance. Again, thank you and have a wonderful night.

Chris

I am speaking about the provider of service, you will have to check about the insurance company, but I believe they are bound by the same laws as the providers, i.e doctors, hospitals, etc.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC