Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

is a wais-iv test the same as an IQ test what does a full

Customer Question

is a wais-iv test the same as an IQ test? what does a full scale IQ 90 (25th 0/0ile) mean and can it get better
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Yes it is an IQ test. It stands for the developer-the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale.-4th edition. Full scale means the combined scores on all the subtests The exact middle is 100 which means 50% get above 100 and 50% get below. Generally scores between 90-110 are considered normal. The scores are essentially predictive of ability to do college work. There has been a lot of work to eliminate cultural bias, but in my opinion and that of others it has not been totally successful. Often times people with lower IQ scores are successful and in that case one disregards XXXXX XXXXX 25th percentile means that 75% score higher and 24% score lower. Remember it is a predictor, it is not a determiner. I have have seen people with lower scores do well in live and those with higher scores do poorly. Is there anything else you need to know?

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the question was in relation to the scores on the following tests, wais-iv, ccpt-h, mmpI-2 and the bdI-2, I was trying to figure out if the test would have the same answer as when I was in my 20's

The wais test which is what you requested info on is generally considered to be constant between the ages of 20 and 70. I am sorry you were dissatisfied with the original answer. Best wishes and good luck..

Ralph LMHC