Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have a son who had his first psychotic episode a year ago.

Customer Question

I have a son who had his first psychotic episode a year ago. He was initially diagnosed with bipolarI disorder, but since it's a diagnosis of history that diagnosis has yet to stick. He has been on depakote the past year and has been stable. The psychiatrist is titrating him off now to see how he does. What are the odds of him remaining stable and never having another episode? I've read that often people only have one episode in their lifetime and fully recover. Any insight would be appreciated
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

As you have said there are many people who have a single psychotic episode with no follow up episodes. The statistic are weak and there is very little in means of predicting if this is a single event. Anyone who says that they can accurately predict the possibility of an additional episode is "blowing smoke", especially since the etiology of the break is unknown. All that one can say that the longer time passes, the less likely that there will be another episode. Best wishes and good luck. Since it has been a year the prognosis is optimistic; however close observation is recommended. I hope that this is clear, if not please feel free to follow up.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for you response. I'm hoping that this is a one time event also of course. I will closely monitor for my son to see if there are any changes. My psychiatrist seems to be optimistic too. Time will tell.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

On piece of advice, avoid any stimulants, or illicit drugs. Make sure any GP treating him know as there are certain meds that can trigger a psychotic episode. And as much as possible avoid undue stress.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He doesn't do drugs thank goodness. What stimulants should he avoid and what drugs should I look out for that could produce another psychotic episode?

Energy drinks, excessive coffee. The GP will know what drugs to avoid, but especially blood pressure meds.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC