Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Dear Sir, my son , 35 years old, was treated in the nursing

Dear Sir, my son , 35 years old, was treated in the nursing facility over one year, diagnosed with chronic paranoid schipzophrenia. He was taken 1).GEODOJN regularely. As I just recognizeded as his conservator , wihout my son understanding and even my knowledge for over 13 month he was involuntarily treated 2).Restoril 30mg PO GHS, PRN 3)Ativan 2mg PO Q4Hr PRN, and plus a combo:4)Ativan 2mg w/Benadril 50 mg with Haldol 5mg IM Q6Hr PRN Later after 10 month INVOLUNTARILY treatment was modified:1)GEODON; 2)HALOPERIDOL LACTATE/1750672;3)DIPHENHYDRAMINE HCL/1750671
and 4)CITALOPRAM HBR/1751111 : 5)CITALOPRAM HBR/1751110 .Finally my son gained over 40lbs, practically isolated in his bed, no any social activity, cannot focus slightly for more than a few minutes. Could I get with your professional psychiatric experience any clue, does my son have any chance for return , what could couse interactions and withrowal reactions? He will be discharge soon to Step Down facility, Thanks,Leon
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Schizophrenia is a chronic incurable chronic disease. The best that one can hope for is a reduction in symptoms so that he is able to live in a less institutionalized setting than a hospital; Of course what I have stated is generalization and there are always exception to the rule. But a return to normalcy is unfortunately unrealistic; The lack of communication with you is abhorrent. As his conservator it is my belief that you are required to sign off on his quarterly or semi annual treatment plan. I think you have good cause to file a complaint with the state licensing authority In addition, It appears that malpractice may have occurred and for that reason I would contact an attorney to discuss malpractice. Let me extend my empathy for what you both have gone through as it appears that some of what transpired was not authorized nor appropriate. I am not clear about couse of action or withdrawal reaction.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.