Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show

A personal friend of mine, has had a 20 history of drug abuse,

A personal friend of mine, has had a 20 history of drug abuse, cocaine, cannabis. He has displayed psychotic symptoms (breaking into my flat, stalking me, leaving things outside my flat, then commenting on them as if they had no knowledge how they got their) I know its him, as they have symbolic relevance to our relationship. He informed me that he suffers from anxiety, depression and paranoia, but he will not go to their GP because they say they laugh at them. He also leaves messages on the internet in a variety of forms, annoymous abusive emails, as he is unable to express his emotions, but can occasionally. He also informed me that they have had suicidal thoughts and refers to himself as we!

He was recently fitted with a hearing aid, and also believes his deafness is caused by a brain tumour!

He is 42, living with his parents, has never had his own home, was bankrupt and currently unemployed.

What do you suggest I do, as I am increasingly anxious about his state of mind!

There is a whole lot going on here with your friend. He either has a characterological disorder ("Personality Disorder"), a thought disorder (like schizophrenia or an associated diagnosis), or both... it/they may be organic or drug induced - it is (of course) impossible to diagnose over the internet, but here is the botXXXXX XXXXXne: forget about "reason" or "logic" for the meantime, as he is beginning to spin into a world of his own. The paranoia in particular concerns me, as his behavior may become more volatile as he descends deeper into a paranoid state. I would urge you to get him to the doctor before he decides that doctors are no longer to be trusted, and my instinct tells me that the window is closing fast. Medication and therapy can definitely take the edge off of the delusions and some of the erratic behavior, but he has to (1) attend an evaluation, and (2) comply with treatment (i.e., take his medication).

If you still have enough leverage, or clout, with him, use whatever you can to schedule and attend the initial evaluation. I would also recommend a psychiatrist over a general practitioner. I do not know the laws in your country, but in the USA, we cannot force a person to seek treatment over the age of 18 unless they are a direct threat to themselves or somebody else. Your friend falls through the cracks (for the time being - be careful in the long run) because he is not currently a threat, but he is clearly in need of treatment. If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He already mistrusts his GP as he said he is sick and tired of them saying that it is due to stress, and that his GP just laughs at him!

I will of course talk to him again and offer to attend an appointment with his GP to get a referral to a psychiatrist, however my instincts are telling me that he may listen to me this time. I hope so anyway, because he has threatened me in the past - although, I fear I am his last resort, as he informed me I am the only person he can talk to. I get quite scared though!

Hello again:

Watch your back, okay? When the paranoia takes over, reality bends for these folks and they are liable to do anything. So plug away for as long as you feel safe, and then disconnect for self protection. But seriously, good luck. I can tell that you really care about him.

Dr. Steve