Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

what would you do if you went to an ER for a physical complaint,

what would you do if you went to an ER for a physical complaint, the nurse yelled at you for 5 minutes over your pain meds (for DDD, but she didn't ask), then was retained on the psych ward for 'coming in' in an aggitated state, and for going off psych meds (that i was TAKEN OFF OF) 5 years earlier just because I had been there that long ago while ON those meds. OH, and then the head of a major department came and personally apologized to you and your frantic husband, separately, for being held there, said you did NOT need to be there, that this was basically a scam the hospital was running and that they could not stop it from the inside, so would we please 'pursue it' once i got out...? whatcha think about that. ?

I believe that this was a terrible abuse of power!!. I would suggest that you contact the state licensing agency to file a complaint against the staff and against the institution. Beyond that I would definitely contact a malpractice attorney. From what you describe they should be held liable for both malpractice and punitive damages so this does not happen to anyone else. I can definitely state that this was totally inappropriate and sorry you had to go through this horrific experience. This answer is from a mental health professsional's stand point not an attorney.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.