Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show

I am 32 yrs old and starting to find that i tend to stay in

I am 32 yrs old and starting to find that i tend to stay in more and more. I tend to start things and then find them pointless and just don't finish them. i don't know i get anxious around people. Find myself feeling really down sometimes, and alot of times just don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hi lsmith:

Thanks for writing. Honestly, it sounds as though you are developing a case of depression here. At 32 (and based upon the brief description you offered) it also does not sound as if you are sharing your life with anyone, which may be upping the feelings of isolation. I urge you to find a therapist to have your situation evaluated. I think this would be good for you because (1) it will be a real, human connection from which to build and generalize to other relationships, and (2) if there is something that can be done to alleviate the anxiety (and the "feeling down"), then why not give it a whirl? I know that men don't like to feel like they have to ask somebody else for help, but seriously, there is no reason to feel awful. Take care of yourself and make a phone call to a therapist - you may be really grateful that you did.

If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve