Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have suffered with severe and debilitating anxiety since

I have suffered with severe and debilitating anxiety since my early teens (I am 53 now). starting in 1994, I have tried everything from xanax to valium to a point where after 20 years of on and off use i got badly addicted to both these medications. I have spent the last 3 years on a long journey (of hell) getting off these addictive drugs. xanax worked very well for many years but once I got to a level of 10mg per day with little or no affect, I knew I had to get off them. I have done so only the last 3 - 6 months. Problem is, my anxiety is now worse than ever and I am now left with NOTHING to help relieve it. My Psychiatrist ahs had me on EFFEXOR XR about 3 years now (300mlgms) per day, but honestly I really don't feel it does much at all. Is there nothing out there that help with this horrible and at times very debilitating condition??? And please don't just suggest exercise or cognitative therapy.. been there, done it.. doesn't work!!
Kind Regards... Nigel Davis
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, what you need right now in order to control your excessive anxiety is to add 1 anxiolytic ( anti anxiety agent ) which is non addicting like the Buspar ( buspirone ) to the efffexor xr that you are presently taking , and this buspar should be taken in three doses , morning , afternoon , evening and the dose should be started with 5 mg dose , at each dose ..This combination of effexor xr and buspar will positively control your anxiety in about 2- 3 weeks duration , as this much duration is required for buspar to reach its peak action in the body and show its effects ..

And this buspar is unlike your previous anxiety drugs like valium and xanax which were habit forming and addictive..

So , kindly discuss ths with your treating doctor and ask him to presecribe you buspar , while continuing on effexor xr..

I hope ths helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. My doctor has suggested this option before but I have resisted fearing i would just get addicted to yet another drug. I will now give this option a try as you have seconded his opinion and would like to get back to you in about a month and let you know how it works out. I hope it works as I am quite desperate for a solution to this.

Regards... Nigel

I believe this will work for you just right ...

Regards...