Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hi I am 38 years old. My panic attacks started after an ovarian

Customer Question

Hi I am 38 years old. My panic attacks started after an ovarian cyst wasa removed at age 20. I took10 mg of prozac and .5 mg of xanax for 15 years. I functioned normally until I had a DNC for endometrial hyperplasia. I have a hormonal imbalance. My doctor is shocked because my periods were always regular and I have 2 children. My anxiety has been through the roof. I am now taking prystic and .5 mg of Xanax 3 times a day. I take natural progesterone supplements. Still my period is not regulated and I have the same dizzy off balance feeling I experienced years ago. I have tried so many meds, but I am supersensitive. Help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

what is the dose of pristiq that you are currently taking ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
50 mg of pristiq

Well, the dose of Pristiq that you are taking is appropriate and shall not be increased until 1 month of seeing your symptoms subsiding , if the symptoms do not subside then you shall ask your doctor to increase it to 100 mg , but until 1 month just observe and wait for improvement..

Now , i believe , in order to control your panic attacks , the xanax that you are taking needs to be altered a bit , meaning that , it needs to be changed to xanax xr ( extended release ) from the current xanax ( plain ) , this will ensure better control of anxiety and panicity while it works together with pristiq . Also, the dose of xanax xr needs to be twice a day instead of current 3 times a day dose ,and as far as the dose is concerned it can be increased to 1 mg at night and 0.5 mg in morning ... so in all , ask your doctor to shift you on xanax xr from xanax , and instead of three times a day dose , keep wo times a day dose of xanax xr , while you continue on pristiq at 50 mg dose / day .. And you should contine on this combination of pristiq and xanax xr for atleast 1 month and see for the improvement of your condition , and if after 1 month of being on this drug combination , there is no significant control over panic attacks then you shall ask your doctor to further increase the dose of pristiq to 100 mg / day while continuing on xanax xr in the same doses.. You see in treating a psychiatry condition , the clinician has to dwell on various combinations in order to find the correct combination that works best for the patient..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help, but I do not accept the answer. Pristiq is meant for depression, not panic attacks. I have done a lot of research. I was hoping you would be able to suggest an antidepressant which would relieve my attacks and then I could wean myself from the xanax. I appreciate your efforts. I do not accept the answer though. I think you should have researched it further and addressed the gynocological problems as well.