cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

what causes some adults to not practice good personal hygi

what causes some adults to not practice good personal hygiene?

Hi jac and thanks for using just answer.

It could be a number of things from mental illness to bad parenting. As you do not give more information than just bad hygeine it would be hard to say. Sorry to not be able your query more comprehensively. I see lots of clients who do not bathe because they are depressed, too poor to afford to bathe, were never taught hygeine. Lots of variables here. Let us know if you have more information so that we can better help you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Even as a youngster he was never much on bathing or teeth brushing. To the point where we had to have all of his teeth pulled for dentures just recently at the age of 53. Could it be just laziness? He doesnt seem to care about his appearance and wear the same clothes for days. Is it a lack of training because I feel like i'm attempting to train a child.

I don't think the person you are speaking of is lazy.

It is either a serious mental illness or bad parenting.

My expert clinical reply is serious mental illness and I would look for treatment for major depressive disorder, severe, without psychosis.

A good treatment plan with therapy and meds might pull the person out very very well.

Can you look for a caring and compassionate mental health counselor near where you live to make a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder?
I would think that is the way to go on this.

Warm regards, Cathy