Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Thought disorder in depression or just anxiety.

Sometimes I feel as if someone is tapping my phone or computer - or that people are interested in gathering information about me or my family. But I'm a normal person doing everyday activities. What type of symptom would this be? I live in NYC and have felt this way since right before 911.I'm just anxious and have not been intellectually stimulated with my work/education/relationships. I have a history of depression and learning disabilities from late stage Lyme disease - so I have experienced a lot of disappointment whenever I try to achieve in school/career ...
I have never had any hallucinations: hearing voices, seeing things, just worries about surveillance and ave trouble getting starting and finishing work. I don't have a history of drug use and I drink alcohol only in moderation.

Just wondering...

-- a worried woman in NYC
Hello Corey,

A very important difference between psychosis and normalcy is loss of contact with the reality and lack of insight about the illness. The most important thing here is that, do you really believe in this or it is just your suspicion?

If this is just your suspicion (short lived/transient and occasional), it can be taken as normal considering that you have a very good insight about your symptoms. Sometimes we all do have such type of thoughts but they are usually transient.

But if this thought consistently bother you and you are very sure about it, you should discuss about it with your doctor and depending on the clinical evaluation and mental status examination, adding a low dose antipsychotic medicine would be sufficient enough to solve the problem.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. It is quite helpful. I feel like the thoughts are transient. I am a very trusting person and recently married to a wonderful man. But sometimes I also worry that some of the people I know socially and professionally are not open about their sexual orientation. If I know them professionally, then I don't worry, because I believe friendly, respectful boundaries are good for the work/school envoirnment. But when I focus on other people I know socially, it worries me. Why would someone not be open about their sexual orientation in NYC? it doesn't make sense because there is not much discrimination and you would think that being open about it would help them find their same sex partner - which is more difficult because they are in the minority. Anyway, I would consider this to be transient too - and I don't worry about myself or my husband - except that he is attractive and gay men probably inquire about his sexual orientation... I just think too much, and try to apply reason to situations, but it detracts from my other work.

I have tried Risperdal in low dosages in the past, which improves these worries, which in turn helps with the anxiety, but it does not improve the procrastination. If there was a parallel to be made between depression withdrawl/procrastination/avoidance and negative symptoms of schizophenia? Which would Risperdal be helpful - or would another antipsychotic specifically target these symptoms? My doctors are not questioning my diagnosis of dysthymia/major depression right now, I would really like to know more about how to focus on my work and be able to finish tasks, and not be distracted - there are times when my life feels like a case of 'writer's block.'

Thanks Corey. Please accept my apologies for the delay in answering as I was very busy in the mean while.

I guess, there is still some stigma prevalent in the society (although a lot has changed) which may prevent some people from openly expressing there sexual orientation. This is something very private and may be they don't want everyone to know about it?

Regarding Risperdal, as seen clinically I would say that it will be useful in all the conditions you have mentioned. I am not sure, whether you have considered the option of psychotherapy specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy or not as it could be very useful in your case.

Please click the link below to find out more about it.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy