Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

20+ yrs of physical pain w/intercourse due to a deformity.

20+ yrs of physical pain w/intercourse due to a deformity. I can no longer participate in any activities w/my spouse. He says it’s a must, a tie breaker for a relationship. He’s oblivious to how he’s made me feel .. worthless. Nothing matters to him except some act, his constant badgering has driven me to want nothing to do with him. No regard for my feelings. I can’t sleep, eat, feel worthless. A friend suggested I have PTSD – is it possible? Am I so abnormal?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
It doesn't sound like you are abnormal. It sounds more like you are the victim of ongoing verbal abuse by an uncaring, unsympathetic spouse. Like you say, you feel useless. Being made to feel this way is not right and has created an internal battle between the part of you that knows you should not be treated so badly and the part that allows him to damage your esteem. It is not a wonderful choice, but you will get somewhat better when you make a decision - remove yourself from the abuse or succumb to being worthless and be miserable. You will need some counseling to help regain your esteem. In case I was to subtle, you need to remove yourself from the abuse. The other option is chronic depression and anxiety.