Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Hi I have OCD in the evening in connection with sleep and

I have OCD in the evening in connection with sleep and sleepingpills. I am afraid of sleep
if I not have things in speciel orders or thrown all food at of the house before beedtime. Things like that. I am a little bit afraid of sleepingpills because I dont know what's going on at nigth when I am sleeping. On the other side I can't sleep whitout them. I have tried medication, different herbs, lightterapi. All this helps a little. Cognitiv therapi didn't work for me, because I don't have so much ocd during the day. Maybe I schould try and talk with an sleep therapist? Maybe he could give me some ansvers.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you keep busy during the day so this keeps you from becoming anxious/OCD during day. At night, your mind has to "clear" and this is when the anxiety rushes in. The problem seems to be the that you get anxious when you are not having to focus on work. A sleep therapist doesn't make sense to me, as your issue is the fear of sleeping, a problem with your OCD. Your CBT should be discussing your fear of sleep and things going out of control at sleep. There are medications that should address these fears at night, but without knowing you it is irresponsible for me to recommend one as this is to complex. I would see a psychiatrist for this, who would understand the difference between insomnia, OCD, and the sleep phobia and treat you properly.