Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I am inquiring as to whether my father has a mental illness,

I am inquiring as to whether my father has a mental illness, or some form of mental disorder. He was imprisoned in his late twenties-early thirties, and divorced his first wife before marrying my mother. His first marriage ended very acrimoniously, and he has a strained relationship with his children from that marriage. His eldest child, a daughter, died of cancer at 39. He has been aggressive since I can remember; he constantly threatens my mother with violence. He is prone to verbal and emotional abuse, and is incredibly aggressive; sometimes I do fear for my mother and younger siblings, one of whom has special needs. He constantly accuses my mother of having affairs with almost any man who comes to the door or one the phone. He is prone to screaming abuse to his family and his work colleagues. He is also a heavy binge drinker. He is extremely paranoid, believing my mother to be romantically involved with everyone and that the world is against him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

Well, based on everything you have said, I would have to say that yes, it sounds like he has a mental disorder. The most likely one is antisocial personality disorder, which includes characteristics such as impulsive behavior, trouble with the law, aggressive/violent behavior, difficulty with authority, poor behavioral control, substance abuse, inability to maintain relationships, etc. Although there may be other possibilities, this is likely the most accurate, and is certainly a very hard/scary personality to deal with. I can understand where you would be concerned for your mother and siblings. There really isn't any way to change someone like that - the best thing is to try to stay away from them.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara