Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Hello Doctor, I have been seeing a phsyciatrists for approximatly

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,
I have been seeing a phsyciatrists for approximatly 3 years now. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks and also a severve case of adult adhd. Both of these conditions have a great impact on my home and work life. I an a registered nurse and care for critically ill neurosurgical patient, therefore it is imperative that my conditions are properly treated. I have been perscribed adderall 10mg po tid and xanax .5mg PRN. I have not been satisfied with with my current doctor, he does not seem at all interesting in my concerns with mt treatment regime. Eventhough, this treatment has been working when I run out of my medications it can take him up tp 3 weeks before I can get refills. I never run out early and would never consider myself a "drug seeker" and always request the refils within a timely manner. Also, when I go to to my appointment to see him he seems distracted and uninterested. I am also in school full time ans workink full-time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your Dr. I know that can be very frustrating. You are in the health care field, so you are well aware that there are many different personalities among Dr's, and some of them just aren't very good when it comes to interacting with their patients. It concerns me that he is so lax about getting your refills in a timely manner. It also does not bode well that he seems disinterested and distracted when you go to see him. So my suggestion would be that you get a different psychiatrist. You have found a combination of meds that works for you, so now you need to find a Dr. that will work for you. Get some referrals and look around for someone else. I know this is a difficult thing to do, but your recovery is also affected by your relationship with your Dr., so don't be afraid to switch to someone you will feel more comfortable with.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara