Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

My son (30) has Biopolar with manic depression. A psychiatrist

My son (30) has Biopolar with manic depression. A psychiatrist put him on medication. He has been a drinking since about 18/19 and already then had mood swings then but we never thought it a mental condition. He started living by himself 3 years ago and started drinking like a maniac. When he has one sip of alcohol he cant stop and he becomes very stupid and suicidal. He stopped drinking 2 weeks ago, got additional anxiety medication and all went well. BUT he lost his job and cant find another, he is a film/video editor and this devastates him. He is living with us for the time being (mom dad and girlfriend who is very patient). He said he can stop drinkng by himself and does not want to go to rehab. I found him a job. Please help, how do we assist him. Corrie

Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

I think the best way you can help is to continue being supportive, but also monitoring (or getting his girlfriend to monito)r his abuse of sleeping pills.

If he cannot manage them properly himself, someone else has to do it for him.

Secondly, quite apart from medication,
I’m going to suggest that he would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Finally, I’d like you to visit the two following websites, where you will get lots of information about his condition, and how to support and help him, and each other.

http://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-disorder/support/supporting-someone-with-bipolar-for-family-and-friends/menu-id-1072/

http://www.bipolaraware.co.uk/

Best wishes, NormanM