Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Hi, Im suffering from severe depression as diagnosed by my

Hi, Im suffering from 'severe' depression as diagnosed by my doctor, as well as social anxiety disorder, diagnosed by a previous counsellor. Im not taking antidepressants at the moment as i took them for a year and felt no benefit. Recently I have felt I am getting worse, I cry almost every night, sometimes in the day, I have absolutely no motivation to do my work, Im pushing away close friends Ive had all my life, and have started talking to people that arent there. Im always aware that the people Im talking to arent physically there, but carry on talking anyway. Its like I live my life constantly watched by people who I know arent there but I act as though they are anyway. Im really scared there is something ELSE wrong with me, and I dont know what to do about it. Thanks

Welcome to Just Answers.

Meds will help you with this. It sounds like you weren't on the right medication or the right dose last time you tried antidepressants, but you can always try one of the many others available.

Your depression is worsening and you're having symptoms of depersonalization...where you separate from yourself and sometimes see yourself from the outside. This isn't multiple personality disorder.

Talk with your doctor about all your symptoms and keep working with them until you feel you're on the right med. Some people are harder to treat than others, and it can take 3-4 trials of meds before you find the right one. Don't give up - there is help out there for you and many options for treatment. It's good that you've tried so many things to help yourself - that will always pay off. But most of all, right now you need medication.

My best to you,