Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Hi, Im suffering from severe depression as diagnosed by

Customer Question

Im suffering from 'severe' depression as diagnosed by my doctor, as well as social anxiety disorder, diagnosed by a previous counsellor. Im not taking antidepressants at the moment as i took them for a year and felt no benefit. Recently I have felt I am getting worse, I cry almost every night, sometimes in the day, I have absolutely no motivation to do my work, Im pushing away close friends Ive had all my life, and have started talking to people that arent there. Im always aware that the people Im talking to arent physically there, but carry on talking anyway. Its like I live my life constantly watched by people who I know arent there but I act as though they are anyway. Im really scared there is something ELSE wrong with me, and I dont know what to do about it. Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

First there are many other antidepressants and it might prove useful to try another, In addition, the most effective way to deal with depression and anxiety is a type of therapy called cognitive behavioral therapy-CBT. I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety and depression. See:

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.