Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

i have spent my whole life wanting to be someone else because

Customer Question

i have spent my whole life wanting to be someone else because of low self esteem. I am a 44 years old woman and for the first time ever want to be me and not assume another personality/looks. i dont think i have split personalities just that i didn't like being me - what does this mean. I have always emulated attractive women who have mature outlooks, and who are controlled i guess because i feel so out of control
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

First it is highly doubtful that you have dissociative personality disorder (DID) commonly called split personality as it is very rare . I think your self esteem has increased so you have accepted who and what you are. People with low self esteem find it much easier to to be told what to do short of that they tend to try to emulate others. I congratulate you on an apparent rise in self esteem-keep up the good work. You have demonstrated a good understanding of yourself.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

you don't appear to have answered my question i am aware that i have low self esteem and that it has improved but i want to know what reasons couldd have caused this.

sorry am very disappointed with the answer as it is within my question only.

was expectting much more indepth answer so will not be continuing with this