Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

In your professional opinion why has their been an increase

Customer Question

In your professional opinion why has their been an increase in the diagnoses of Borderline Personality Disorder recently? I know individuals with BPD are challenging to get into treatment, what usually gets them to finally seek treatment? What has been the most affective treatment for BPD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

People with personality disorders, especially BPD tend to deny their problem and so for that reason they have tended not to go for treatment and have just been considered problemed people Now with increased awareness, outside pressure from friends, teachers, and relatives have pressured these people to seek treatment and thus an increase in the frequency of the diagnosis For a long time there were no effective treatments. However in recent years an effective treatment has been developed out of the University of Washington It is called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy-DBT. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.