Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I have just left a five-day detox center for alchohol withdrawal.

I have just left a five-day detox center for alchohol withdrawal. Prior to entering it myself, my primary care physician did a complete physical, and recommended reduced drinking daily while taking .5mg Klonopin before bed.

My syptems became worse as the alchohol declined. I entered a CAP program on March 5. They seemed appalled by the Klonopin, tossed it out, and started 30mg of Librium, taporing to 15 gradually over five days. I'm home now with no additional drugs to take--just a follow up counseling program and AA.

From what I can read, Klonopin and Librium are both benzodiazepines. I am now very curious as to their different effects on alchohol withdrawal symptems given these two physicisians had such vared opinions.

Hello Steve,

Detoxification is simply a medical management of withdrawal symptoms in a patient having substance dependence. Benozodiazepines are prescribed in alcohol withdrawal to stop unpleasant withdrawal symptoms in a rapidly reducing regime in order to prevent secondary dependence on themselves.

You are correct that both Klonopin and Librium are Benzodiazepines and any one of them could be used for this purpose. It depends on the choice of treating doctor and usually Librium and Diazepam are often preferred for inpatient detoxification. We ourselves prefer Librium for this purpose.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.