Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My boyfrineds daughter is bipolar an has been in and out of

My boyfrined's daughter is bipolar an has been in and out of emergency rooms and had short psychiatric stays. She is not getting any better and will not work and go off the wall and has harrassed both her mother and father and has started going off on me. They and I have tried to help her. She needs to be committed somewhere where she can get the help that she needs. She smokes pot all of the time and may be using other drugs on occasion. What can we do to get her help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Hey,

This is where our mental health laws often fail us, but if she is an immediate threat to herself or another, then she can be committed against her will. Rarely will this work for an addict, but sometimes for someone in the acute stages of mania with co-comittant addiction. At 23, you can't force her into treatment, which is very unfortunate for everyone involved.

At this point, communication among family members that she may contact is something that you can do, and educate yourself about bipolar and addiction. There are good websites and blogs for family members that you can google on the internet. People in your same position can offer their support and any tricks of the trade that they've learned over the years.

Take care of yourself, and keep offering her treatment. If she ever accepts, take her to the closest ER so they can put her into a medical detox and perhaps a psych unit.

My best to you,
Anna