Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified
25965815

Im confused as to whether I have Gender Identity Disorder

I'm confused as to whether I have Gender Identity Disorder or if its just another one of my obsessions. I have been thinking strange thoughts of wanting to be a man since January. On New Years Eve I thought I looked like a boy compared to these other girls at the party and I felt very uncomfortable. Ever since then I haven't felt like myself and I'm wondering am I a transsexual? Prior to January I always fell into a typical female behaviors without a problem but now doing those things feels strange and wrong. For example I used to love shopping and make up and stuff like that but now I don't and feel weird doing those things. I always used to love being woman and my curves but I look at them now and its strange to me. Again it's like not my body I'm looking at it's like I'm looking at a stranger. The world around me also feels unfamiliar. These thoughts have me really depressed because I feel like they came out of nowhere. Is this a late realization? My past doesn't indicate GID.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I'm sure they have been disturbing for you, as well as confusing. Based on the symptoms you have described, it doesn't sound like GID to me. You don't seem to really have any of the typical symptoms, other than dissatisfaction with your body. But your dissatisfaction isn't about wanting to be opposite sex - it's more of a disconnect from yourself. So I'm leaning more toward a dissociative disorder, which has symptoms more like you are describing. I'm glad you're taking the zoloft, and I hope you are also in therapy to help you understand this and work through it. If you're not in therapy, I would suggest that you do so as it can help you feel better and less depressed.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara