Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Three months ago I discovered my wife was haing a long distance

Three months ago I discovered my wife was haing a long distance affair that started on Facebook & they came face to face at a high school reunion. After the reunion stayed in touch via Facebook and he flew into town for a day while I was at work and the kids were in school for a day in a hotel room. A month after this my wife left her cell phone sitting on our bed & it started beeping. I looked at it to be blown away at the content of the messsages. I confronted her on it the next day & after being defensive she became very scared and said she would end it with him because she did not want to lose her marriage. Since then she has flip flopped four times on whether she wants to try again. Her position is that she has a lot of anger towards me, just does feel reconnected, thinks I will never get over the affair but she panics when we talk about a separation. We have two girls, 9 & 12, should we separate or work through couples counseling first before hurting the kids
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this situation. I know it's very painful. I would say, however, that it's definitely a good idea to try the couples' counseling first. It might be very helpful to your marriage and allow you to work things out. If nothing else, you will both gain some insight that will be helpful to you in the future.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara