Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

My wonderful psychiatrist that I have been seeing for the last

My wonderful psychiatrist that I have been seeing for the last 5 years and decided to limit his practice now to just geriatric patients and I am NO WHERE near that age yet:) I have tried to track him down to see if he is still maybe seeing any private patients or could recommend a doctor to me, but have been unsuccessful with that route. Any tips on what I should be looking for with the new Dr. I have randomly selected and made an appointment with at the end of this month? I know that I am having problems with the medications I am taking and really would like for him to see what my history was for these medications, or would it be better to just tell him what I am on and let him start with that as a clean slate? Should I have my records transferred or just wait and see if I like him (because if I don't, then I would just end up having to transfer them twice). Any advice would be greatly be appreciated (I'm as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof about seeing a new Dr. for my depression and anxiety). Thanks, Melody
Hi Melody. I have a question. Have you been seeing him for therapy also, or just for medication? How often were you going? Tamara
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mostly just for medication, I was going to see him about every two months or more often if he was making changes in my medication and needed to monitor it more closely for effectiveness and changes in mood.
Hi Melody - Thanks for the further information. Well, first of all, you are dealing with "just" depression & anxiety (as opposed to a serious psychiatric disorder) so any decent psychiatrist should be able to handle those issues effectively. So I think the main thing you want to pay attention to is your comfort level with him/her. You really liked your last psychiatrist, so you're likely to feel a little lost with whoever you see initially. But pay attention whether or not you feel comfortable, could grow to trust them, and feel you could talk with them. If you don't feel that way, or feel they are too impersonal, then look for someone else. In terms of your records, I don't see any problem with waiting to transfer them until you are sure this is someone you want to stay with. I think it's nice sometimes too be get a fresh perspective from someone who doesn't ave all your history right in front of them. Good luck. I hope your appointment goes well

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Tamara