Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My so has bipolar,depression, mood disorder starting in mid

My so has bipolar,depression, mood disorder starting in mid school. He has a very high IQ. He so wanted to get his PHD but has a hard time. He came home this week and he has slept and been so mad at us for no reason and it hurts us so bad.

Hi there

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, it seems like your son's bipolar disorder is overwhelming his objective and clear thinking which will impair his performance in all 3 domains of life , professional, social and personal. And this is exactly what has started to happen with him and he is being pushed to the bottom , despite being an intelligent individual.

So, what is required right now is to review his drug regime that he has been placed on , as lithium although the drug of choice in bipolar diorder , needs to be assisted by 1 anti depressant drug such as paxil cr or effexor xr and 1 another mood stabilizer such as lamictal in order to control his bipolar symptoms for better productivity.

So, kindly dscuss this with his treating doctor and get the necessary additions done in his current drug regime..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best....

Pleasepress the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't talk to his Dr he lives in Buffalo Ny. I don't think he tells him everything or at least how he act here. hes on a mood stabilizer. But Iam not sure about anti depressant . My Dr say he treats us this way because he knows we love him so much. This has been 12 long years Thank you so very much