Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

longterm effects 10 days of mirtazapine.

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just asnwer !

kindly specify what you intend to ask ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am keen to stop taking this medication. It is making me feel as though my thinking etc has been impaired. is this a long-term effect?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are all the effects even at the micro-level fully reversable or does no-one really know?

Thanks for the reply..

Well, since you have been on mirtazapine for only 10 days , so your body is trying to adjust to the drug in these intitial days , and therefore you are feeling that your cognition / thinking is being impaired , actually this is commonly seen in patients starting on mirtazapine , and so merely after 10 days of starting on mirtazapine , you should not stop the drug , as very soon , once your body gets used to mirtazapine in its system , will stop producing such effects , so basically , what you are feeling right now is the intitial adjustment related effects of the drug and they will subside in another week or two , so you shall continue on mirtazapine as this is not a long term effect .

However , if these effects last for the whole of month , then you ask your doctor to either adjust the dose of mirtazapine or stop the drug .

I hope his helps..

I wish you all the best...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I am feeling this way and my body adjusts so that the feelings diminish it does not rule out long-term changes in the brain ? - (everything feels wierd even my eyes etc)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would be very grateful if you could reply again many thanks

Well, no changes in your brain will take care even when all your symtpoms subside after your body adjusts to the drug mirtazapine.

So, do not take tension and continue on the drug without any apprehension , this will not cause any long term changes in your brain.

I hope his helps..

I wish you all the best...