Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am the Mother-In-Law of a Bipolar he is on Lithium and is

I am the Mother-In-Law of a Bipolar he is on Lithium and is doing well. However every once in a while he goes off the wall. He recently had Swin Flu and apparently this caused an imbalance in his treatment. He called and acussed myself and my husband of several things we supposedly said about him in times past there was no reasoning with him. I am suppose to be going back to the states to help with their two boys while my daughter is deployed she is in the Navy. he told me I was unfit to be around them and claimed we thought he was neglecting his children because he needed help with them in the past. He has since apologized and wants me to come. I want I need to know how to handle these situations while I am there I do not plan on living very close maybe 100 miles from him. In the past while we had the oldest child he reported us to the police for kidnapping we of course had a power of attorney and so nothing came of it but can you help? when he is like this he calls me several times a day and everything I say is misconstrued and he interpreters a negative intent. He rarely does this anymore but if it arises again I really need to know what and how to say things.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, there is no specific strategy that you may adopt while dealing with your son in law , as it is the hallmark feature of a person who goes in mania ( bipolar disorder) that he / she becomes extremely suspicious and delusional about people including their near and dear ones and loose insight into their own illness. And the same thing happens with him and so he under the influence of mania becomes delusional and starts blaming you for bizarre incidents .

So, the only thing you shall keep in mnd while going there is to safely keep away from him and try not to argue with him or reason out with him for his actions and just play down any altercation or incident that comes up with him on phone or in person and most importantly be in constant touch with your daughter on phone and let her know of the developments as your stay progresses and call emergency 911 , if you feel threatened and unsafe by his actions / attitude..

Besides , these precautionary measures , you may not be able to do much , so just do the needful.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answere as only then will i be credited for my service.