Wendy M
Wendy M, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Over 16 years in chemical dependency and the mental health field.
28742334

My boyfriend is an addict who has been clean for over 2 years

My boyfriend is an addict who has been clean for over 2 years and he is having a "buzzing" sound in his ears accompanied with sleeplessness, mood swings, and a severe headache. He was taking trazadone for 3 months. He took a zanax today that he got from a friend and I am scared for him. Any Ideas on what to do would be great because I am at a loss.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Wendy M replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am glad to hear that your boyfriend has been clean for 2 years, but it seems like he is beginning to start a relapse process, if he is taking a Xanax from a friend. That is very concerning. I do not know how he was able to get clean in the first place, but if he used a counselor or NA, or another form to get clean, that would be my suggestion. To go back to what he did, to help get clean.

NA is a great place where they can provide support for him, during this time. It also seems like he took the Xanax, due to some medical issues that he is currently having right now. The "buzzing" sound in his ears could be something called tinnitus, or it could be from the Trazadone that he is currently taking.

Sometimes the tinnitus goes away on it's own. It can be related to many ear problems like an ear infection, wax in the ear, or an injury from loud noises.

But, I would suggest having him go to an ear, nose and throat doctor, to find out if the issue is medical in nature. I would also have him contact his other doctor that is prescribing him the Trazadone, to let him know as well, about his current symptoms, with the buzzing in his ears.

Tinnitus can be difficult to deal with. It can cause sleep disturbances and lack of concentration, which may be why you are seeing him being moody. His moodiness may also be a precursor to using again, on a regular basis. It is hard to tell, considering he has two things happening right now.

But, if your boyfriend can do some of the things that I have suggested, you will get a better idea, on what is going on not only physically, but also mentally as well, when it comes to his addiction.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Wendy
Wendy M, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Over 16 years in chemical dependency and the mental health field.