Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

Hi, Im curious to know whats been causing my problems

I'm curious to know what's been causing my problems for as long as I could remember. So I'll jump to it right away by outlining some the problems I have experienced.

- Most of the time when I'm reading my mind can on the most part wonder off onto something unrelated. It can be very random. This is very distracting to the point where I don't understand what I'm reading and forgetting where I am on the page. Reading can sometimes be very draining, more so if what I am is very technical.
- I certainly misplace things quite often, especially if I just put them down a second ago. I can really be forgetful too sometimes. When I remember what's happening at the time, I notice I was thinking about something or got distracted by something else.

I see I can't write more with the word count coming to the cut off point. I got a lot more to add to that, but see what can be gleaned by the above.

Thanks in advance,
Thank you for using Justanswer. Sorry to hear you are going through this. It is very hard to diagnose a problem like this online. My first inclination is to think this is Attention Deficit Disorder. You can take a self assessment here. This would indicate if that is the primary problem. I would also suggest seeing your Dr. to rule out any neurologically issues that could be causing this. I would also suggest have an evaluation by a psychiatrist to get a proper diagnosis of what is going on.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Take care,

Edited by Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH on 3/23/2010 at 2:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for answering, I'm going elaborate a bit more.

- My mood can change fast too, one minute I feel great and the next I can be very withdrawn.
- Motivation can also come and go.
- I procrastinate a lot.
- I can also be very impulsive at times where I can I change plans or scrap projects right on the spot at the time. I also tend to say things that I shouldn't of said or should have said differently.
- I tend to do too many things at once to the point I'm swamped and overwhelmed by it all and not get any of it done.
- I can certainly be irritated and fustrated by little things (ultimately they aren't such a big deal anyways.)
- I tend to also have anxiety, especially in social gatherings. Especially meeting new people or in new surroundings or even different situations.
- Socially I'm not very out-going or talkative. I'm certainly have always been quiet, unless I talk to people about something really interesting. Then I have to be tolled to be quiet. I'm not open at all with people, I'm private and reserved I can say. I'm certainly very introverted. I think I have always been this way. Another thing I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs.
- In school I was quiet but I had friends, but it wasn't my favorite experiences growing up. I never really felt that I fit in with my peers and close friends. I didn't quite have the same intrests as them either. I wasn't a bad kid, but I got in trouble for some little like everyone else. I was no angel, but my parents didn't have trouble with me. As for my performance, all the way through school right up to college was very varied. I was very fantasy prone and my mind would drift off and I would be thinking about something else in the classroom, because I was bored. I still can drift off anytime something is boring. Hard to keep attention, unless it really intrest me (I would draw also). I did well, but not the most outstanding student, but I did fail grade 2, because of my reading. Throughout high school it was tough and in college it was much tougher. In college I wouldn't go to most of my classes, and alot of it was not having any motivation, mood swings, or anxiety. But what I was taking wasn't really interesting either.
- Additional note - I also got tested for dyslexia a few years back, and it said that I am dyslexic, but I'm very skeptical of that diagnoses now. That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks again,

Hi Steven,
Thanks for sharing this additional information. This does sound like ADD to me but also a possible mood disorder (depression or possibly bipolar). I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist for an evaluation and possibly a therapist to discuss the social anxiety and the overwhelmed feelings you mentioned.

All the best to you and I hope you can find a good resolution to your issues.

Take care,