Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Hi there,i suffer from anxiety and have off and on for 10yrs,recently

Hi there,i suffer from anxiety and have off and on for 10yrs,recently after a 8yr spell it came back last sep in avenagance...after getting through the last 6 months of no medication and doing not to badly,my new doctor has prescribed with with fluxotine (prozac)20mgs once a day...my battle with myself is i have never taken any meds for this and am at a crossroad on whether i should bite the bullet and try them?On this meds what is the most common side effects i would experience and how quick would it work,my doctor said because i am a small lady under (50kgs)it should work alot quicker..HELP!!
Any insight would be appreciated.
regards Odette

Hello Odette:

The most common side effect (less so fo woman than man) It interferes with libido. It may interfere with sleep so it is taken in the AM. It can cause jitteryness and weight loss. .. It usually takes between 3-5 weeks to work. 20 mgs is a low dose. You might want to consider therapy. I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves, . anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

I would continue to modifying your coffee intake as it can make you nervous. I wish you you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 3/21/2010 at 11:18 AM EST