Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Hello, I am worried about my 67 year old mother. Recently

Hello, I am worried about my 67 year old mother. Recently my sister-in-law was deliberately being mean to her and when my mother let my brother know some home truths about his wife, he flew her and really upset her and wouldn't talk to her. I knew my mum had a past that she wouldn't talk about and I told her that they were being silly, and that she had gotten over worse. She then let me know about her past, her dad died at the age of 3, and her step dad tortured, beat her up and raped her from the age of 4 to 13, but she told no-one because he said he would kill her mother. He eventually went to prison for something else and my mum was sent to the naughty girls school for her own protection when he got out. (not sure of these details). My father found out that she had told me and he apparently hit her. She is starting now to call people bastards if they won't do what she wants, or don't believe in god. She has threatened to put a knife in my dad.. what is wrong with her?

We are all a product of our environment. Your mother's (sounds like the whole family) was filled with constant threats and acts of violence. So her violent take on life is not suprising, in fact it is to be expected. At the same time there is a very good chance that at her age, dementia is beginning to appear. Dementia is typically filled with violent thoughts and acts and given her life history it is even more understandable. I would definitely have her evaluated before something tragic happens and she acts act out her violent streak. Best wishes and good

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, please don't get me wrong, my mum was the most loving, caring woman in the whole world, my siblings and I were very blessed. We had no idea that dad had ever hit her or cheated on her. For my brother to have flew mum, it was totally out of character to which the way we were brought up. My brother asked her if she felt she needed pofessional help, a councillor or something, but she said that the church is her councillor. She is devoted to helping the orphanages in Bali, and whenever she knows someone who is going, she asks them to take over gifts, but if they won't, that is when she starts calling them bastards etc.

I was speaking of the environment that your mother experienced and she was subjected to. In addition the changes that may occur when one ages that are associated with dementia. My concern is that she be evalated. I wish you and her the best, XXXXX XXXXX am concerned which is the reason I suggested the evaluation. Dementia takes away ones judgement.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>