Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have been diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder. I have

I have been diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder. I have been doing really good and haven't had an attack in about 3 years. My daughter has recently been having health issues and the stress has caused me to have some anxiety and panic. I am on 30 mg of Paxil and the doctor has given me a prescription for Xanax. I haven't taken any because I am fearful that it won't work, and if it doesn't work that will make my problems worse. Does Xanax take care of the symptoms? If not is there something out there that will help with the feelings of panic and fear and the racing of my thoughts? I guess I am worried that there isn't anything that will stop these feelings and need some reassurance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Xanax is a very effective medication. The major problem is that it is highly addictive. Paxcil does not have that problem. If the Xanax is taken occasionally it should not be problematic, but again, it has a high addiction profile. One thing you may consider is psychotherapy,

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

I hope this has answered your problem and wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.