Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

My husband & I had a wonderful vacation for 3 days. Then on

My husband & I had a wonderful vacation for 3 days. Then on the trip home he flew into a rage and was furious at me for no specific reason. This often happens at least once a month and it really worries me. He will often verbally threaten me but never follows through with the threat. Usually the next day he apolgizes, but this behavior really has me concerned. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest that your husband have a complete physical exam ( to insure that there are no hormonal problems going on). Once this is completed, it sounds as if you husband need treatment for poor impulse control Whether individual or group is immaterial and really depends upon his comfortability. I would suggest a psychiatric evaluation to determine if medication is needed. Threats of physical violence are totally unacceptable as it is a short step from talk to action. There may be some thing that you do that triggers, so marital counseling maybe helpful. Again threats, although verbal MUST CEASE. Best wishes and good luck.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.