Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Child of 7, going on 8, gets upset because she worries about

Child of 7, going on 8, gets upset because she worries about her parents dying. Is this normal

This is not typical, but is not uncommon. It is usually indicative of insecurity about his relation with his parents. Does he have difficulty separating from you, like when leaving for school or if you go out and leave him with a baby sitter.?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. Absolutely no difficulty in leaving for school or with babysitter. Loves life, joined in everything from swimming to ballet to Tai Quando, etc. Very well adjusted and has excellent relationships with teachers, peers, etc. Parents absolutely devoted to her (little girl) and other children. This is one of their few nights off in fact. Staying over with me but have seen her do this before. Vaguely remember feeling something like this when I was young, although my own dad died when I was 5 yrs. old and do remember having this fear about my own mother at a particular age. Probably about this age - 7 or 8.

Candidly, the basis of this unfounded fear is not clear and really will require some delving by a professional child therapist to determine the cause of the problem and rectify it. The positive news is that children can make changes quite readily.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Thank you for your generosity and good luck.

Ralph LMHC